- September 16, 2020
UPDATE ON NEOPETS – Blue Ant Studios-owned prodco Beach House Pictures has partnered with California-based JumpStart Games to develop the first Neopets animated series, based on the family-friendly virtual pet brand (pictured). As part of the agreement, Singapore-based Beach House will develop new stories and characters, with Blue Ant’s Canadian studio providing animation services.
The show is still in the early stages of development and its format and style aren’t finalized, but Beach House plans to target the series at eight to 12s. The pair are seeking co-production and broadcast partners for the project.
Neopets first launched as an interactive pet website in 1999, and despite not being 20, the property’s website still has a sizeable global fanbase with 75 million players and more than 350 million page views a month, according to JumpStart. Neopets users can play games, care for and personalize their virtual pet; collect, purchase, and trade in-game currency; and engage with other players. Available globally in eight languages, Neopets has an active user base of teens and young adults, and more than 60% of that audience is female, the game developer said.
“The property is popular across age targets and since the ’90s its fans have identified it as a fun and safe space, and we want to bring that to a new generation of kids,” says Beach House Pictures’ creative director Donovan Chan. “It’s rare to come across a property with global reach, which has a great historical DNA, but is also a blank slate for creatives because it doesn’t already have a series.”
The brand has changed hands a few times since its launch last century, with Viacom buying Neopets in 2005 for US$160 million. In 2014 Viacom sold the company to JumpStart for an undisclosed amount, and in 2017 JumpStart was acquired by Chinese online gaming publisher NetDragon, which at the time planned to grow JumpStart’s reach with learning-based institutions and consumers.
The new series is part of JumpStart’s larger plan to revamp the brand this year with a reimagined Neopets website, a new mobile game, and licensed merchandise. The game maker, kicked this off with mobile games Ghoul Catchers in 2018 and Neopets: Legends & Letters, last year.
The new Neopets series also marks one of Beach House’s only animated series, since the prodco is best known for making live-action puppet shows, including Hiccup & Sneeze (135 x 30 minutes), Teddies (45 x 30 minutes), and the live-action Kooki’s Crafty Show (26 x 30 minutes). Its animated catalogue includes animal focused shows Hatching Time (16 x 45 seconds) and Where’s My Bed (nine x one minute), which were produced for Blue Ant-owned kidsnet ZooMoo.
“We plan to leverage Blue Ant’s creative resources to make an animated series that taps into the love people have for this brand, while giving kids worldwide another reason to engage with it,” says Chan.
I know we do not have a lot of followers and that’s okay. The site is here for easy daily clicks and occasional suggestions. If anyone is willing to help keep this site going, please let me know. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Neopets Freebies Once per month
- Altador Plot Prize; Jellyneo Guide
- Apple BobbingWarning: you can lose items from your inventory while bobbing, leave only an Imposter Apple in there if you are trying for the avatar. Avatar given randomly.
- Coltzans Shrine: Try waiting until the 55th second of any minute to have a higher chance of getting something. You can go to the shrine every 12 hours
- The Discarded Magical Blue Grundo Plushie of Prosperity Gives avatar randomly
- Fruit Machine
- Geraptiku: Deserted Tomb or Instantly in the tomb A bit like the Snowager. Try going during the same times the Snowager is awake or at 55 seconds past the minute.
- Grave Danger
- The Grumpy Old King Go back, create another joke. Using this question tends to give points: What do you do if fierce peophins has eaten too much tin of olives? Fill in anything
- Healing Springs
- Krawk Island Anchor Management; Jellyneo Guide
- Krawk Island Forgotten Shore; Jellyneo Guide
- Kiko Pop
- Meteor Crash Site 725-XZ
- Moltara City Quarry
- Qasalan Expellibox
- Shenkuu Lunar Temple; Help Guide
- Shop Till
- Stock Portfolio
- Symol Hole
- Trudy’s Surprise
- Underwater Fishing
- Wise Old King
- Wishing Well
- Buried Treasure 150 NP – Every 3 hours
- Lever of Doom
- Test your Strength 100 NP – Every 6 hours
- The Faerie Caverns – Winding Tunnels *NEW* 400 NP – Once a day
- The Wheel of Excitement 500 NP – Every 2 hours
- The Wheel of Extravagance *NEW* 100,000 NP – Once per day Jellyneo Prize Guide
- The Wheel of Knowledge 400 NP – Every 24 hours
- Wheel of Mediocrity 100 NP – Every 40 minutes
- Wheel of Misfortune 150 NP – Every 2 hours
- The Wheel of Monotony150 NP – Every 24 hours Jellyneo Prize Guide
- Games Room – Featured Game (Double Points)
- Advent Calendar Off-season, keep refreshing for a winter random event – could take 1-30 minutes. Might possibly find a Christmas PB or icy negg!
- Cliffhanger (Answer Sheet) Keep playing till you get a winter random event. 2-3 games normal (Difficulty level does not matter)
- Sultan’s Quest
- Town Hall If you keep refreshing you will get a random event.
- Deadly Dice: Open 12am-1am NST. (Roll the dice on the ODD second, you’ll win. EVEN second will lose)
- Guess the Marrow
- Snowager NST or PST = 6-7am, 2-3pm, 10-11pm; EST = 9-10am, 5-6pm, 1-2am
- The Turmaculus: Randomly strengthens your Neopet’s petpet or gives you items. For the avatar, attach a CHEAP petpet or one you can afford to lose.